Rich in History
Harcum College was Pennsylvania’s first independent, associate degree granting college, located in Bryn Mawr, PA and founded by Edith Hatcher in 1915. Harcum has empowered generations of students by preparing them for dignified, remunerative, socially useful work. Providing possibilities for individual success remains a central purpose of Harcum, "The College of Possibilities."
Powerful Athletic Teams
Both the men’s and women’s athletic programs prove every year that they can hold their own against anything that comes their way in the National Junior College Athletic Association. The men’s basketball team was ranked number one in the nation in the NJCAA Division I basketball poll, during the 2009-2010 season. Whether you wish to be involved in an intercollegiate athletic program or just cheer your team to victory, Harcum has great programs to choose from.
Student Life and Small Classes
College is a time to expand your horizons and take advantage of the many possibilities that life presents. Life at Harcum is dynamic and filled with possibilities for both resident and commuter students. Classrooms (and classes) are small, encouraging interaction and allowing faculty the time to learn about students and focus on goals. At Harcum, you will increase your ability to succeed and the likelihood that you’ll meet your educational goals.
Starting at a two-year college like Harcum can be substantially less expensive than going to a similar four-year college. Harcum students receive federal financial aid and scholarship support, and the college in general has the advantage of being more flexible in its non-governmental scholarships and institution-based aid.
Exposure to the Workforce
Starting off in one of Harcum’s nationally accredited, two-year programs offers a firm foundation. Students are given the opportunity to gain hands-on working experience through required internships, clinical or practicum experiences, or service learning activities. After two years, you will have the opportunity to jump right into the workforce and start your career or continue your education at one of our affiliate colleges while working.
Harcum first’s and only’s:
• First chartered, independent, associate degree granting college in Pennsylvania
• Pennsylvania’s first independent college co-founded by a woman in 1915
• First woman president of an associate degree granting college in Pennsylvania
• First and only associate degree granting college on Philadelphia’s historic Main Line
• First Occupational Therapy Assistant program in the Philadelphia region
• The one and only Physical Therapist Assistant Program in the Philadelphia region
• First NJCAA DI men’s basketball team in Pennsylvania to be ranked #1 nationally