The Interior Design program prepares students with the technical and professional skills to become proficient in the art of conceiving, planning, and creating interior spaces.
- Graduates will apply knowledge of design principles to develop creative solutions to interior design problems.
- Graduates will demonstrate oral, written, and graphic communication skills and techniques needed for success in the interior design field.
- Graduates will create effective design solutions through the selection of appropriate materials, finishes, and furniture.
- Graduates will solve interior design problems with applicable codes and industry standards.
- Graduates will demonstrate the attitudes and values of professional responsibility, accountability, and effectiveness with respect to the health, safety, and welfare of others and the environment.
Interior Designers are highly imaginative, artistic, and resourceful. Combining their creative talents with critical thinking and technical skills enables designers to develop design solutions that are safe, functional, attractive, and socially and environmentally responsible.
At Harcum College, Interior Design is a humanistic discipline: the art of conceiving, planning, and creating interior spaces that are made to serve people in answer to their individual and collective needs and desires. We focus on encouraging students to become thoughtful, innovative, and responsible designers.
Through the studio experience, students learn by doing. Critical thinking, creative exploration, and the development of technical skills enable students to become Interior Design professionals. They learn to balance theory and practice, form and function, all while expressing their own personal style.
Students will learn CAD, Sketch-UP, Photoshop, and other regularly updated computer programs to meet the current needs of the industry. Practicum and co-ops are available for students to receive hands-on experience in the field.
Program Options: Full Time or Part time
Individuals seeking a career change (with or without a prior degree) find this program especially attractive. The Interior Design program is designed for full-time or part-time students. Flexible schedules accommodate working professionals. Graduates meet academic eligibility standards for professional licensing examinations (NCIDQ)
Please call 610-526-6095 to set up an individual meeting to review your college transcript(s) to determine what may be eligible to transfer. By transferring general education credits, students may be exempt from re-taking core requirement courses. Students may begin the ID program in the fall, spring, or summer.
As a graduate you may choose to enter the profession as designers specializing in areas which include:
- Commercial Design, Government Design
- Residential Design, Home Staging
- Kitchen and Bath Design
- Sustainable Design
- Facilities and Planning
- Hospitality and Retail Design
- Manufacturer's Rep, Home Furnishing Sales and Design
- Completed Harcum College Application
- SAT or ACT scores, if taken (critical reading and math scores only).
- Official high school transcripts or GED transcripts. This requirement is waived for applicants who have completed a bachelor's degree, unless specifically requested.
- TOEFL scores for students for whom English is a second language
- Official college transcripts (if applicable)
- Typed personal essay explaining why you chose your desired major.